The following is a list of events as they take place in the world of Hunter × Hunter, starting from the past and heading towards the present storyline. Part of the information is unreliable, has been or may in the future be subjected to retcons. As is the case for the year the series is set in, in the event of contradictory information, the most recent version is taken to overwrite the other.
In the case of the Yorknew City arc, the calendar matches that of real-life year 1999, whereas the Succession Contest arc, set in in-universe 2001, follows the calendar of the year 2017. The specific days of the week were not retconned in the following timeline.
Based on estimations that may or may not be correct
Retconned out of canon
Databook or conflicting information)Dubious canonicity (
- Only the date is colored: The event happened as described, but the canonicity of the date is uncertain.
- Both the date and the event are colored: Both the event and when it occurred are uncertain.
Before January 1st, 1999Edit
Over 500 years ago (circa 1500)Edit
About 300 years ago (circa 1700)Edit
- Don Freecss travels to the Dark Continent.
- Wooden vaults are used by rich individuals to evade taxes.
Over 200 years ago (before 1800)Edit
Between 120 and 110 years ago (between 1879 and 1889)Edit
Over 105 years ago (before 1894)Edit
Around 100 years ago (circa 1899)Edit
98 years ago (1901)Edit
- Maha Zoldyck is born.
68 or 67 years ago (1931 or 1932)Edit
At least 64 years ago (before 1945)Edit
- Winter: Netero retreats to the mountains and expresses his gratitude with 10,000 punches a day.
At least 62 years ago (before 1947) Edit
- Netero completes the cycle before the sun sets.
At least 60 years ago (before 1949) Edit
- Netero completes the cycle in under one hour.
58 or 57 years ago (1941 or 1942) Edit
Nearly 50 years ago (after 1949) Edit
47 or 46 years ago (1952 or 1953)Edit
At least 45 years ago (before 1954) Edit
43 or 42 years ago (1956 or 1957)Edit
At least 42 years ago (before 1957) Edit
40 years ago (1959)Edit
- Biscuit starts training in Nen.
At least 35 years ago (1964)Edit
At least 33 years ago (1966)Edit
- Netero is elected Chairman of the Hunter Association.
32 years ago (1967) Edit
At least 30 years ago ( before 1969) Edit
- Gyro kills his father and leaves the construction camp.
29 years ago, 1970Edit
- Kakin shifts from social imperialism to parliamentary democracy during "The Most Silent Revolution in History".[note 1]
- Ming Jol-ik secretly retires, leaving a figurehead to rule in his stead.[note 2]
- September 8th: Nobunaga Hazama is born.
28 or 27 years ago (1971 or 1972) Edit
27 or 26 years ago (1972 or 1973) Edit
25 or 24 years ago (1974 or 1975)Edit
23 years ago (1976) Edit
22 or 21 years ago (1977 or 1978)Edit
At least 21 years ago (before 1978) Edit
21 years ago (1978) Edit
20 years ago (1979) Edit
- January: The 267th Hunter Exam takes place and is passed by Ging.
- Zebro is hired as the Zoldyck Family's groundskeeper.
20 or 19 years ago (1978 or 1979)Edit
19 years ago (1980)Edit
- March 3rd: Leorio Paradinight is born.[note 3]
- Tsezguerra, Barry, Kess and Rodriot begin to work together.
- Ging begins to study archeologists' websites and blogs.
19 or 18 years ago (1980 or 1981) Edit
18 or 17 years ago (1981 or 1982)Edit
17 years ago (1982)Edit
- April 4th: Kurapika is born.[note 4]
- Ging sets up a nonprofit corporation to repair and research an ancient royal burying ground.
Around 13 years ago (circa 1986) Edit
At least 12 years ago (before 1987) Edit
- NGL becomes a nation and Gyro its king.
12 years ago, 1987Edit
- Three members of a TV crew attempt to shoot a documentary in NGL and are arrested.
- Ging and his friends create Greed Island.
- May 5th: Gon Freecss is born.
- July 7th: Killua Zoldyck is born.
Over 11 years ago (before 1988)Edit
Around 11 years ago (circa 1988) Edit
- Ging takes Gon to Greed Island.
- Ging encounters the Captain.
- Ging takes Gon to Whale Island.
11 years ago (1988)Edit
10 years ago (1989) Edit
- Kalluto Zoldyck is born.
- A tramp from Meteor City is arrested under false charges.
- Mike becomes the Zoldyck Family's watchdog.
9 years ago (1990)Edit
- Killua begins to train in tailing.
9 or 8 years ago (1990 or 1991)Edit
7 years ago (1992) Edit
- Between January and September 2nd: Kurapika and Pairo meet Sheila.
- The tramp from Meteor City is revealed to be innocent, and his fellow citizens blow themselves up together with 31 people involved in his trial.
- Milluki leaves the Zoldyck mansion for the last time in seven years.
- Leorio has his first drink.
6 years ago (1993)Edit
- Killua challenges the Heaven's Arena for the first time.
- Two months later: Killua reaches the 150th floor.
- Between January and September 2nd: Kurapika takes the first test to visit the outside world.
- Three minutes later: Kurapika completes the first test.
- One week later, night: Kurapika begins the exit test with Pairo as his partner.
- Six hours and 30 minutes later, after sunrise: Kurapika and Pairo reach Nancha.
- Roughly within the next five hours: Kurapika and Pairo shop and confront the thugs before being chased out of the city.
- Roughly 12 hours later, night: Kurapika and Pairo return to their village, clearing the test.
- Between January and September 2nd: The Kurta Clan is exterminated by the Phantom Troupe.
- Six weeks after Kurapika's departure: Sheila spreads news of the extermination of the Kurta Clan.
5 years ago (1994) Edit
- Killua reaches the 199th floor of the Heaven's Arena.
- Genthru, Jispa, Kazsule and 7 others form an alliance to clear Greed Island.
5 or 4 years ago (1995) Edit
4 years ago (1995) Edit
3 years ago (1996) Edit
- The 284th Hunter Exam takes place, and Pokkle fails during the 4th phase.
- Around June: The Phantom Troupe gathers in its entirety for the last time in three years.
- Seaquant hires 100 thugs to storm the Zoldyck mansion, but they are defeated by Canary.
- Silva kills Phantom Troupe member #8.
2 years ago (1997) Edit
- Hisoka Morow joins the Phantom Troupe.
- Hisoka "initiates" Kastro to Nen at the Heaven's Arena.
- Kite and the Amateur Hunters are hired by Kakin to conduct a biological survey.[note 5]
- Pariston Hill is appointed Vice Chairman of the Hunter Association.
1 year ago (1998) Edit
- January: The 286th Hunter Exam takes place. Hisoka is disqualified after nearly killing Togari.
- Muherr makes Golem's acquaintance.[note 6]
At least 2 months ago (before October 1998)Edit
Between December 27th and December 31st, 1998Edit
From January 1st, 1999Edit
January 1st, 1999 (Fri)Edit
- The Greed Island cartridges in Jeitsari's possession are donated to the Southernpiece Auction House.[note 7]
Hunter Exam ArcEdit
January 3rd or 4th, 1999 (Sun/Mon)Edit
January 6th, 1999 (Wed)Edit
- The Captain drops Gon, Kurapika and Leorio in the vicinity of Zaban City.
- The trio passes the Quizzing Lady's test.
- Four hours later: The trio passes the Kiriko's tests.
January 7th, 1999 (Thu)Edit
- The 287th Hunter Exam begins.[note 8]
- Roughly three hours later: The applicants clear the first 40 kilometers of the marathon.
- Roughly three hours later: The applicants minus Nicholas clear the first 80 kilometers of the marathon.
- 12:00: The second phase begins.
- 20:05: Beans announces when Trick Tower will be reached.
January 8th, 1999 (Fri)Edit
- 00:05: Gon and Killua join forces against Netero.
- 01:15: Killua gives up.
- 04:19: Gon forces Netero to use his right hand and falls asleep.
- 09:30: Arrival at Trick Tower (90 minute delay requested by Netero).
- 10:11: Gon, Killua, Kurapika, and Leorio enter Trick Tower.
- 12:08: Tonpa enters the Trick Tower.
- 12:13: The five begin their trial.
- Around 12:35: Gon's contest against Sedokan begins.
- 15:47: Hisoka passes the third phase.
- 21:33: Killua begins to suspect Majitani is playing possum.
- 21:45: Leorio loses his contest against Leroute.
- 21:47: The five enter the isolation room.
January 10th, 1999 (Sun)Edit
- 23:47: The five leave the isolation room.
January 11th, 1999 (Mon)Edit
- Around 8:33: The five reach the last room.
- 09:29: The five pass the third phase.
- 09:30: End of the third phase.
- Over two hours later: The fourth phase on Zevil Island begins.
- 12 minutes later: Agon disembarks.
- 16 minutes later: Imori disembarks.
- 12 minutes later: Killua disembarks.
- Two minutes later: Gon disembarks.
- Two minutes later: Kurapika disembarks.
January 12th, 1999 (Tue)Edit
- Gon begins to train with his fishing rod.
January 13th, 1999 (Wed)Edit
- Kurapika and Leorio team up and defeat Tonpa and Sommy.
- Gon finds Hisoka.
- Killua confronts the Amori Brothers.
- Illumi kills Goz.
January 14th, 1999 (Thu)Edit
- Kurapika and Leorio run into Hisoka.
- Hisoka kills Agon.
- Gon steals Hisoka's badge.
- Hisoka kills Geretta and gives Gon back his badge.
January 17th, 1999 (Sun)Edit
January 18th, 1999 (Mon)Edit
January 21st, 1999 (Thu)Edit
- The fifth phase begins.
January 22nd, 1999 (Fri)Edit
Zoldyck Family ArcEdit
January 25th, 1999 (Mon)Edit
- The catalog for the Southernpiece Auction is completed.
February 8th, 1999 (Thu)Edit
February 14th, 1999 (Sun)Edit
- Gon and Kurapika open the first gate, Leorio the second.
- The trio encounters Canary, Kikyo, and Kalluto.
- After sunset: The trio and Canary reach the butlers' residence.
- Reunion with Killua.
Heaven's Arena ArcEdit
February 15th, 1999 (Mon)Edit
- After sunrise: Kurapika and Leorio go their separate ways.
- Gon and Killua leave for the Heaven's Arena.[note 9]
Second half of FebruaryEdit
March 3rd, 1999 (Wed)Edit
- Leorio's 20th birthday.
- Gon and Killua register at the Heaven's Arena. The duo and Zushi reach the 50th floor.
- Killua vs. Zushi.
March 5th, 1999 (Fri)Edit
March 8th, 1999 (Mon)Edit
March 10th, 1999 (Wed)Edit
- Gon and Killua reach the 200th floor.
- 20:11: Hisoka's Ren prevents Gon and Killua from registering on the 200th floor.
- 20:30: Gon and Killua follow Wing to his hotel room to learn Nen.
- 20:55: Wing opens Gon's and Killua's Aura Nodes.
- 22:37: Gon and Killua register on the 200th floor.
March 11th, 1999 (Thu)Edit
March 12th, 1999 (Fri)Edit
- Wing forbids Gon from studying Nen.
April 4th, 1999 (Sun)Edit
- Kurapika's 18th birthday.
- Hisoka vs. Kastro.
May 5th, 1999 (Wed)Edit
- Gon's 12th birthday.
May 12th, 1999 (Wed)Edit
May 13th, 1999 (Thu)Edit
May 29th, 1999 (Sat)Edit
May 30th, 1999 (Sun)Edit
- Gon vs. Sadaso (Gon wins by default).
June 4th, 1999 (Fri)Edit
June 9th, 1999 (Wed)Edit
June 10th, 1999 (Thu)Edit
June 11th, 1999 (Fri)Edit
Before July 9th, 1999Edit
July 9th, 1999 (Fri)Edit
July 10th, 1999 (Sat)Edit
- Gon vs. Hisoka.
Yorknew City ArcEdit
Between Mid-July and August, 1999Edit
- Gon and Killua arrive at Whale Island.
- One day later: Gon opens Ging's metal box.
- Kurapika returns to the Sengi Guild and is interviewed for a bodyguard position.
August 14th, 1999 (Sat)Edit
August 29th, 1999 (Fri)Edit
- Baise, Basho, Kurapika and Melody are formally hired and meet Neon Nostrade.
- Neon and her bodyguards leave for Yorknew City.
August 31st, 1999 (Sun) Edit
- 35 hours after since: Neon's blimp lands at Lingon Airport.
- 12:00: The Phantom Troupe gathers in Yorknew.[note 12]
- 21:00: Gon and Killua's competition ends with Gon as the victor.
September 1st, 1999 (Wed)Edit
- Gon, Killua, and Leorio meet up in Yorknew City and begin to earn money with an arm-wrestling competition.
- Milluki leaves home for Yorknew City.
- 21:00: The Underground Auction begins and the Spiders kill all the guests.
- The Shadow Beasts are exterminated by the Phantom Troupe.
- Uvogin is captured by Kurapika.
- Before midnight: Uvogin regains consciousness in the Hotel Beitacle.
- Kurapika meets up with Hisoka.
- The Spiders free Uvogin.
September 2nd, 1999 (Thu)Edit
- 17:00: Gon, Killua, and Leorio sign up for a hunt for the Phantom Troupe.
- After sunset: Kurapika vs. Uvogin.
- Gon pawns his Hunter license.
September 3rd, 1999 (Fri)Edit
- Neon and her bodyguards check out of the Hotel Beitacle and rent another room under a different name.
- Light Nostrade arrives in Yorknew City.
- Gon and Killua participate in a silent auction.
- Milluki arrives in Yorknew City.
- 12:00: The silent auction ends.
- Gon and Killua meet Zepile and take the contents of a wooden vault to the Preview Market.
- Light Nostrade arrives in Yorknew City.
- Gon and Killua tail Machi Komacine and Nobunaga Hazama.
- Gon and Killua are captured by the Phantom Troupe.
- Before 16:15: Neon slips away from her bodyguards.
- After sunset: The Mafia assassins attend a meeting.
- Chrollo smuggles Neon in the Cemetery Building.
- Before 20:15: The Spiders attack the Mafia.
- Four hours after Neon slips away: Gon and Killua escape from Nobunaga.
- Chrollo vs. Silva and Zeno.
- Illumi kills the Ten Dons.
- The Spiders stage their deaths, copy the auction items, and steal the originals.
- Kurapika obtains the fake Scarlet Eyes.
September 4th, 1999 (Sat)Edit
- Kurapika meets with Gon and Killua.
- Zepile sells the jewels at the dealers' market.
- The Mafia cancels the bounty on the Spiders.
- Hisoka tricks the Troupe into remaining in Yorknew.
- Gon and Killua are captured by the Phantom Troupe.
- Nobunaga beheads Squala .
- Around 18:55: Leorio confirms to Gon and Killua the plan is on.
- 18:57: Kortopi, Nobunaga and Pakunoda arrive at the lobby of the Hotel Beitacle.
- 18:58: Gon and Killua argue with Nobunaga.
- 18:59: Gon and Killua stall to prevent Pakunoda from touching them.
- 19:00: Pakunoda reads their memories one instants before the lights go out, but Gon and Killua fail to escape. Kurapika kidnaps Chrollo.
- 20:00: Pakunoda meets with Kurapika at Lingon Airport.
- Before midnight: Hostage exchange.
September 5th, 1999 (Sun)Edit
Greed Island ArcEdit
September 6th, 1999 (Mon)Edit
- First day of the Southernpiece Auction.
- Gon and Killua are failed by Tsezguerra and begin to work on their Hatsu abilities.
- Phinks Magcub and Feitan Portor steal a copy of Greed Island and enter the game.
September 7th, 1999 (Tue)Edit
September 8th, 1999 (Wed)Edit
Between September 8th and September 10th, 1999 (Wed-Fri)Edit
- Gon redeems his Hunter license and leaves it in a safe-deposit box with Ging's.
September 10th, 1999 (Fri)Edit
- Battera wins the seventh and last copy of Greed Island.
- Milluki returns home.
- Gon and Killua pass Tsezguerra's tryouts.
- 17:00: The hired players leave for Battera's castle.
- After sunset: The hired players enter Greed Island.[note 13]
- 23:49: Tsezguerra reenters Greed Island.
September 11th, 1999 (Sat)Edit
- Gon and Killua reach Antokiba.
- Jeet is killed by the Bomber.
- Gon and Killua meet Nickes.
- Abengane and Puhat join the alliance and temporarily leave the game.
September 15th, 1999 (Wed)Edit
- Killua wins the Antokiba monthly tournament (rock-paper-scissors).
- Kazsule steals "Sword of Truth" from Gon and Killua.
- Gon and Killua meet Biscuit and depart for Masadora.
- Shalnark realizes Greed Island is in the real world.
- Feitan and Phinks start killing players.
- After sunset: Biscuit, Gon, and Killua meet the Sick Villagers.
September 15th or 16th, 1999 (Wed/Thu)Edit
- Before sunrise: Gon and Killua begin training under Biscuit in the badlands.
- Before sunrise: Gon and Killua begin training against Binolt.
September 26th or 27th, 1999 (Sun/Sat)Edit
- Night: Binolt admits defeat.
September 27th or 28th, 1999 (Sat/Sun)Edit
- After sunrise: Biscuit, Gon, and Killua run to Masadora.
- Three hours later: Arrival in Masadora.
- Roughly two and a half hours later: Return to the badlands.
September 29th or 30th, 1999 (Mon/Tue)Edit
Early October, 1999Edit
- Gon and Killua reach Masadora, completing the first phase of Biscuit's training.
- Gon and Killua start hunting Greed Island creatures.
Early October to Early November, 1999Edit
- Killua catches the Bubble Horse, completing the second phase of Biscuit's training.
- Two weeks later: Gon catches the Bubble Horse, completing the second phase of Biscuit's training.
- Gon and Killua begin Ken training.
Late November or Early December, 1999Edit
- Two weeks later: Gon and Killua begin Hatsu training.
- Feitan, Franklin Bordeau, Kortopi, Phinks, Shalnark, and Shizuku Murasaki enter Greed Island illegally, but are teleported away by Razor.
December 29th, 1999 (Wed)Edit
- Genthru reveals his true colors.
- Killua leaves the game and registers for the 288th Hunter Exam.
- Abengane informs Gon and Biscuit and exorcises Countdown.
- The Bomb Devils detonate all bombs.
- Killua goes to the Kiriko's house.
- Gon and Biscuit head to Masadora, where "Chrollo Lucilfer" is registered in Gon's binder.
January 2nd, 2000 (Sun)Edit
- Killua and the Kiriko depart for Beeskafmarro.
January 6th, 2000 (Thu)Edit
- The Kiriko drop Killua in Beeskafmarro.
January 7th, 2000 (Fri)Edit
- Two hours before lunchtime: The 288th Hunter Exam begins.
- 90 minutes later: Killua passes the exam.
Between January 17th and January 14th, 2000 (Fri)Edit
January 14th, 2000 (Fri)Edit
- Killua reenters Greed Island.
- In the badlands Killua finds "Chrollo Lucilfer" among Gon's contacts.
- Four hours later: Killua reenters the game after warning Kurapika.
- Hisoka makes contact with the Spiders on Greed Island.
- Gon, Killua, and Biscuit obtain one "King White Stag Beetle" and one "Gold Dust Girl" each.
January 15th, 2000 (Sat)Edit
- Gon and Killua win the Antokiba monthly tournament (tug of war).
- Gon, Killua and Biscuit head to Dorias and obtain three "Witch's Love Potion", four "Risky Dice", and one "Memory Helmet".
January 16th, 2000 (Sun)Edit
- Gon is contacted by Kazsule.
- 20 minutes later: Gon trades a "Witch's Love Potion" for Kazsule's " Book of V.I.P. Passes" 500 meters northwest of Dorias.
- Killua wins a "Rainbow Diamond" and a "Fledgling Gambler" with the aid of a Risky Dice.
Between January 16th and Mid-February, 2000Edit
- Battera's lover dies.
- Gon's team collects "Fledgling CEO", "Doyen's Growth Pills", and "Staff of Judgment", for a total of 50 specified slot cards.
- Gon's team begins to trade "Leave" cards in exchange for rare ones.
- Genthru is contacted by Tsezguerra.
- Roughly one hour later: The Bomb Devils steal cards from Tsezguerra's team.
- Gon obtains " Wild Luck Alexandrite".
- After sunset: Formation of Kazsule's Alliance.
- Kazsule's Alliance competes against Razor and his pirates.
- One day later, after sunrise: Gon's team and Goreinu meet with Hisoka and Tsezguerra's team.
Late February, 2000Edit
- Roughly one week later, after sunset: Gon's new alliance confronts Razor.
- At sunrise: Gon's team acquires "Plot of Beach".
- Hisoka negotiates with Abengane.
- Roughly one hour after sunrise: Tsezguerra's team opens hostilities against the Bomb Devils.
- Gon begins Gyo training and Level 5 Emission exercises.
- Three days later: Goreinu resupplies Tsezguerra's team with spell cards.
Early to Mid-March, 2000Edit
- Six days later: The Bomb Devils begin to stake out the spell card shop.
- March 3rd: Leorio's 21st birthday.
- One week later, at 15:05: Tsezguerra's team leaves the game.
- Ten days later, at 15:05: The card data of Tsezguerra's team is eliminated.
- 15:10: The Bomb Devils restock on spells before facing Gon's team.
- Gon's team defeats the Bomb Devils in one-on-one fights.
- After sunset: Endgame celebration.
- One day later, after sunrise: Gon, Killua, and Biscuit leave Greed Island.
- Gon and Killua chat with Kite.
- After sunset: The Chimera Ant Queen washes on the shores of the Yorbian continent.
Chimera Ant arcEdit
The dates specified in this arc are dependent on the interpretation of the following one, hence why they are both color-coded and indicated with "possibly".
Late March, 2000Edit
- One day later: Gon and Killua meet the Amateur Hunters.
- After sunset: Gon and Killua begin looking for new species.
Early April, 2000Edit
- April 4th: Kurapika's 19th birthday.
Late April, 2000Edit
Within the 10 Following Days, Between Late April and Early May, 2000Edit
- Gon, Killua, Kite and the Amateur Hunters examine an insect leg at the Southernpiece Auction House.
- May 5th: Gon's 13th birthday.[note 14]
Possibly May 24th, 2000Edit
Within the Following 4 Days, 2000Edit
- One day later (possibly May 25th): Pokkle's team and at least five other groups of Hunters in NGL are wiped out.
- Gon, Killua, Kite, Stick Dinner, and Podungo Lapoy enter NGL.
- Pokkle is captured.
- Gon and Killua vs. Rammot.
- Gon, Killua and Kite vs. Yunju and his underlings.
- One day after Pokkle's capture (possibly May 26th): Spinner Clow contacts the Hunter Association.
- Rammot awakens to Nen.
- Gon, Killua and Kite vs. Officers from Leol's Squad.
- Three days after Pokkle's capture (possibly May 28th): Neferpitou is born.
- Leol, Flutter, and Hina withdraw without confronting Gon, Killua, and Kite.
- Neferpitou vs. Kite.
Possibly May 30th, 2000Edit
- One day later: Netero, Morel Mackernasey and Knov arrive at the border of NGL.
- Gon and Killua meet Palm in Doli.
- Roughly at 15:00: Biscuit arrives.[note 15]
- Roughly at 15:55: Gon and Killua run out of aura.
- 23:30: Biscuit uses her ability on Gon and Killua.
- Netero, Morel and Knov arrive within sight of the nest.
- Shaiapouf is born.
Possibly June 8th, 2000Edit
- Nine days later, at 21:00: Gon and Killua succeed in maintaining Ren for three hours.
Possibly June 9th, 2000Edit
- One day later, at midnight: Gon and Killua challenge Knuckle Bine for the first time.[note 16]
- After sunrise: Knuckle offers to fight Gon and Killua every night until the deadline.
Possibly June 18th, 2000Edit
- Nine days later: Gon promises Palm they will win.
Possibly June 22nd, 2000Edit
- Four days later: Netero, Morel and Knov exterminate all but 14 Squadrons.
- Menthuthuyoupi is born.[note 17]
Possibly June 28th, 2000Edit
- Six days later, at midnight: Gon vs. Knuckle at full strength.
- Roughly at 00:20: Gon passes out.
- After sunrise: Morel and Knov bet on whose disciples will arrive the following day.
- Biscuit spars with Killua.
Possibly June 29th, 2000Edit
- One day later, at midnight: Gon and Killua vs. Knuckle and Shoot.
- After dawn: Meruem is born.
- Meruem and the Royal Guards set out for the Republic of East Gorteau. 
- Gon and Killua accompany Knuckle and Shoot to the border of NGL.
- Netero goes to see Zeno.
- Most Squadron Leaders leave the nest.
- The Chimera Ant Queen dies.
- Meruem and the Royal Guards take over the Royal Palace of East Gorteau.
- Knuckle and Shoot vs. manipulated Kite.
- Cheetu arrives in Pata.
Possibly June 30th, 2000Edit
- One day later, at 10:00: Gon goes on a date with Palm.
- After sunset: Killua vs. Rammot.
- Knov and Shoot arrive in Doli.
Possibly July 1st, 2000Edit
Possibly July 2nd, 2000Edit
- One day later: The Extermination Team gathers and Gon sees the manipulated Kite.
July 7th, 2000Edit
- Killua's 13th birthday.
July 10th, 2000Edit
- The IPA Deputy Secretary is assigned to evaluating the risks of the upcoming expedition to the dark Continent.
Possibly July 27th, 2000Edit
- 25 days after Gon sees Kite: A manipulated Ming Jol-ik announces a national rally will take place in ten days.
10 Days Before the Selection (Possibly July 28th), 2000Edit
- One day later, a few minutes after midnight: Gon can use Nen again.
- The remote Selection begins.
- After dawn: Phinks, Feitan, Shalnark, Shizuku, Bonolenov and Kalluto exterminate Zazan's troops in Meteor City.
9 Days Before the Selection (Possibly July 29th), 2000Edit
- Before sunrise: Gon and Killua infiltrate the Republic of East Gorteau and split up.
- Morel and Knov make a deal with Marcos.
- Gon vs. Snake.
- Gon vs. Bat and Hollow.
- Killua begins to disrupt the "Selection".
- Leol, Flutter and Hina are tasked with stopping the disruptor.
- East Gorteau is placed under martial law.
8 Days Before the Selection (Possibly July 30th), 2000Edit
- Daytime: Leol meets with Cheetu.
- Killua vs. Leol's Squad.
- Killua vs. Ikalgo.
- Killua vs. Ortho Siblings.
- Morel and Knov surround Peijin.
- At sunset: Gon meets Meleoron.
7 Days Before the Selection (Possibly July 31st), 2000Edit
- Before sunrise: Gon learns about God's Accomplice.
- Meruem beats the national shogi champion.
6 Days Before the Selection (Possibly August 1st), 2000Edit
- Before sunrise: Meruem beats the Go champion.
- Meruem begins to play Gungi with Komugi.
- Gon meets up with Knuckle and Shoot in Mandai while Meleoron watches.
- Roughly eight hours after beating the Go champion: Meruem resumes playing with Komugi.
- Cheetu teleports Morel to his dimension.
- Bloster and Welfin go assist Leol.
- Knov ambushes Flutter.
- Around four hours after teleportation, after sunrise: Morel defeats Cheetu.
- Meruem rips off his own arm.
- Within two or three hours of Meruem's injury, around sunset: Knov infiltrates the palace.
- Palm is selected by Bizeff.
- After sunset: Knov escapes from the palace.
- Palm is taken to Bizeff's quarters.
- Morel vs. Leol.
- Palm is put into a cocoon.
5 Days Before the Selection (Possibly August 2nd), 2000Edit
- Killua awakens in an underground hospital.
4 Days Before the Selection (Possibly August 3rd), 2000Edit
- Before sunrise: Gon phones Morel.
2 Days Before the Selection (Possibly August 5th), 2000Edit
- The Extermination Team members hold a strategy meeting.
1 Day Before the Selection (Possibly August 6th), 2000Edit
- Before sunrise: Komugi awakens to Nen.
- After sunrise: Gon, Killua, and Ikalgo determine that Meruem hurt himself.
- 14:00: The Extermination Team members blend into the batteries of citizens.
- 18:00: Gon, Killua and Ikalgo reach the other Extermination Team members in Knov's dimension.
- 23:50: The Extermination Team moves to a room closer to the palace.
- 23:53: The Extermination Team enters the room connected to the central stairway.
- Roughly at 23:57: Netero and Zeno jump off a dragon above the palace.
- 23:59: The Extermination Team gather in front of the exit.
Selection Day, (Possibly August 7th), 2000Edit
- 00:00:00:96: The Extermination Team storm the palace.
- 00:00:03:01: Knuckle activates Hakoware on Menthuthuyoupi.
- 00:00:03:28: Menthuthuyoupi smashes the central stairway.
- 00:00:04:87: Knuckle punches Menthuthuyoupi a second time. Neferpitou reaches Meruem.
- 00:00:06:52: Gon sees Morel's Smoky Jail around the throne room.
- 00:00:08:73: Shaiapouf comes face to face with Morel.
- 00:00:13:01: A.P.R. adds interest for the first time (649).
- 00:00:13:86: Knuckle is about to help Shoot.
- 00:00:18:56: Netero and Meruem ride Zeno's Dragon Head.
- 00:00:18:68: Ikalgo, in Flutter's body, meets Bloster and Cheetu.
- 00:00:22:63: Knuckle reveals himself to Menthuthuyoupi.
- 00:00:23:01: A.P.R. adds interest for the second time (354).
- 00:00:34:89: Gon and Killua reach Neferpitou.
- 00:02:03:01: A.P.R. adds interest for the 12th time (919).
- 00:02:09:04: Menthuthuyoupi snaps.
- 00:02:12:39: Menthuthuyoupi begins to transform.
- 00:02:37:97: Meleoron makes contact with Killua.
- 00:03:13:01: A.P.R. adds interest for the 19th time (1791).
- 00:03:20:13: Shaiapouf continues to escape from Smoky Jail.
- 00:03:35:47: Zeno and Silva fly away.
- 00:05:03:00: Knuckle provokes Menthuthuyoupi.
- 00:05:03:01: A.P.R. adds interest for the 30th time (5109).
- 00:05:03:37: Knuckle attacks Menthuthuyoupi as he begins to inflate.
- Killua beats up Menthuthuyoupi with Godspeed.
- Ikalgo confronts Bloster. 
- Morel deactivates Smoky Jail.
- Shaiapouf steals Morel's pipe.
- Morel and Knuckle begin to fight Menthuthuyoupi.
- Hina and Shidore encounter Bizeff.
- 00:07:29:41: Menthuthuyoupi explodes for the second time.
- Killua begins recharging.
- Shaiapouf fails to ambush Gon.
- 00:07:33:01: A.P.R. adds interest for the 45th time (50,091).
- 00:07:53:01: A.P.R. adds interest for the 47th time (60,610).
- 00:07:53:49: Menthuthuyoupi's excitement and anger grow as he goes on a rampage against Morel's smoke puppets.
- Netero and Meruem reach the military testing site.
- 00:09:29:53: Menthuthuyoupi destroys the last smoke puppet.
- 00:11:33:01: A.P.R. adds interest for the 69th time (370,684).
- 00:11:35:89: Morel and Meleoron beg Knuckle not to rescind Hakoware.
- 00:11:39:07: Knuckle deactivates Hakoware from Menthuthuyoupi.
- Palm emerges from her cocoon and confronts Killua.
- Knuckle confronts Shaiapouf.
- 00:25:31:87: Neferpitou begins to fear Gon.
- Ikalgo is confronted by Welfin.
- Meruem cuts off Netero's right leg.
- Roughly one minute later: Meruem cuts off Netero's right arm.
- Less than 10 minutes after Shaiapouf challenged Knuckle: Netero tells Meruem his name and kills himself, setting off the Poor Man's Rose implanted in his stomach.
- Roughly 16 minutes after leaving the palace: Menthuthuyoupi and Shaiapouf donate their cells to Meruem.
- Killua, Knuckle, Ikalgo, Palm, and Meleoron regroup and decide to stay at the palace.
- 00:49:57:81: Neferpitou is forced to dispel Doctor Blythe.
- The Extermination Team takes Komugi hostage while Gon runs to Peijin with Neferpitou.
- Meruem is fully healed, but suffers from amnesia.
- Shaiapouf's segment confronts Killua.
- Roughly 5 minutes after departing: Meruem reaches the palace.
- Gon and Neferpitou reach Peijin.
- Shaiapouf tricks Neferpitou into believing that Welfin and Bloster rescued Komugi.
- Gon transforms and kills Neferpitou.
- Meruem knocks out Knuckle and Meleoron.
- Shaiapouf challenges Meruem to a game.
- Ikalgo and Palm hide in Bizeff's private wing.
- Roughly 10 minutes after Shaiapouf challenges Meruem: Welfin encounters and then threatens Menthuthuyoupi.
- Roughly 5 seconds later: Menthuthuyoupi dies from the poison of the Miniature Rose moments later.
- Meruem confronts Welfin, who triggers his memories of Komugi.
- Meruem speaks to Palm, who tells him where he can find Komugi in return for the right to observe him with Wink Blue.
- Meruem plays Gungi with Komugi until his death.
- After dawn: Welfin, Bizeff, and Hina leave the Republic of East Gorteau for Meteor City.
- Bloster and Shidore return to the latter's village, where she reunites with her mother.
- Pariston sends 100 Hunter Association blimps to the Royal Palace of East Gorteau to secretly recover 5,000 cocoons containing Chimera Ant-human hybrids.
- Morel files his report to Beans.
- Beans releases Netero's last will, which announces his resignation and some criteria for a new Chairman election.
- The news report that Ming Jol-ik planned a murder-suicide on a national scale.
- Killua leaves the hospital in Swardani City to save Gon.
- Meruem dies.
The events of the following two arcs are difficult to reconstruct accurately, or contain irreconcilable contradictions. The timeline suggested here embraces the inconsistencies to avoid assumptions.
13th Hunter Chairman Election ArcEdit
Killua's travel time is inconsistent: according to the timeline, it took him several more days to reach his home than to do the return journey, despite Illumi's interference. Even if the Zodiacs' meeting was retconned to have taken place on the day of the Selection and the day right before the election, and Ging's meeting with Beans in Chapter 320 two days before then, the travel time of Cluck's pigeons and of the voters or the Zodiacs going off-site would remain inconsistent (excluding Nen abilities). Furthermore, despite the first round of the election supposedly lasting 24 hours, the events of Chapter 329 and Chapter 330 clarify that the rounds could not have lasted more than a few hours each. A possible solution to the contradiction would be that the requirement of strict punctuality mentioned in Chapter 320 implied that the polls would close as soon as the Hunters present all voted, without waiting until 23:59.
The alternative timeline that renders Killua's travel time consistent (the one indicated by "possibly") would posit the Zodiac meeting as well as the Selection Day to have taken place on August 7th, 2000, and Ging to have visited the Hunter Association's headquarters on August 5th, the Zodiacs having been sent a preview of Netero's last will days before the other Hunters.
Possibly August 5th, 2000Edit
Possibly August 7th, 2000Edit
August 8th and 9th, 2000Edit
- At midnight: the first round of the 13th Hunter Chairman Election begins.
- Illumi enlists Hisoka's help to kill Alluka.
- Killua arrives home and talks to Silva.
- The results of the first round are announced. The second round begins and ends. The results are announced.
- The Zodiacs take provisions against invalid votes. The third round begins.
- Illumi tells Hisoka about Nanika's powers.
- Killua is allowed to meet with Alluka.
- The results of the third round are announced. The Zodiacs agree to make a speech before the gathered Hunters to address abstentions.
- After sunrise: Nanika kisses Killua on the cheek after leaving Kukuroo Mountain.
- Killua and Alluka, escorted by Canary, Gotoh, and Amane, leave the Zoldyck mansion by car.
- Leorio punches Ging during the Zodiacs' speech. The fourth round begins and ends. The results are announced and the fifth round begins.
- Illumi opens hostilities with Killua.
- Hisoka kills Gotoh.
- Killua runs away from Tsubone, Amane, and Canary.
- Tsubone, Amane, and Canary reach Parasta's airport.
- Less than 10 minutes after escaping the three butlers: Killua reaches Parasta's airport.
- Killua, Canary, and Amane arrange for eight blimps to fly towards Swardani City.
- Roughly 10 minutes after Killua reaches Parasta's airport: Illumi and Hisoka reach Parasta's airport.
- Through Morel, Killua enlists Teradein Neutral, Bushidora Ambitious, and Loupe Highland's help in opposing Illumi and his Needle People.
- The results of the fifth round are announced, the sixth round begins.
- After sunset: Hisoka and Illumi make short work of Points C and A.
- Tsubone transforms into a glider. She and her granddaughter follow Killua's blimp.
- The results of the sixth round are announced, the seventh round begins.
- Hisoka kills Bushidora.
- Illumi confronts Killua.
- Hisoka kills Teradein.
- After sunrise: the results of the seventh round are announced. The Hunters gather at HQ.
- Killua arrives at Gon's hospital.
- The four candidates speak.
- The eighth round begins.
- Nanika restores Gon.
- Gon arrives at the Hunter Association's HQ and speaks with Ging.
- The ninth round begins and ends. Pariston is elected 13th Chairman of the Hunter Association and resigns shortly after.
- Killua and Illumi have a showdown at the hospital. Killua's restrictions are lifted.
- Gon speaks to Kite.
- Gon and Killua part ways.
- Gon talks to Ging atop the World Tree.
Dark Continent Expedition ArcEdit
The Zodiac meeting with Cheadle Yorkshire as Chairman in Chapter 340 seems to take place right after the day of the election, as the Zodiacs forgot that Pariston was no longer Vice Chairman and Cheadle had yet to choose hers. This would mean that the expedition to the Dark Continent announced by Nasubi Hui Guo Rou also took place on the day after the end of the election, possibly explaining why, contrary to Ging's predictions in Chapter 331, Pariston did not delay the end of the election. Another implication is that the IPA Deputy Secretary was tasked with studying Journey to the New World one month earlier, so that the V5 had been aware of Kakin's project for at least that amount of time before it as announced, but not of Beyond Netero's involvement. This is supported by the timing of the request to the Hunter Association.
It also confirms that events occurring in one same chapter are not necessarily synchronous, another example being Leorio and Kurapika's invitation to join the Zodiacs. Mizaistom Nana visited Beyond 35 days before the Black Whale's departure, scheduled for August 8th. Mizaistom's conversation with Kurapika about moles then ought to have taken place right after the 289th Hunter Exam, whose schedule is known to have been modified to gather the necessary resources for the voyage. Leorio and Kurapika attended the meeting related to the Dark Continent one month before then, so around June 4th, 2001.
August 10th, 2000Edit
- Before sunrise: Gon and Ging part ways.
- At sunrise: Gon watches the Small-billed Swans take flight with Kite's group.[note 19]
- Ging and Pariston leave the Zodiacs.
- Nasubi announces an expedition to the Dark Continent led by Beyond.
- The IPA Deputy secretary speaks at the V5 summit and convinces them to support Nasubi's project.
- The V5 (in reality the IPA Deputy Secretary) commission the Hunter Association to hunt Beyond.
- The Zodiacs minus Ging and Pariston gather and watch Netero's DVD.
- Beyond hands himself over to the Zodiacs.
- Ging reaches Beyond's lair.
- Gon discovers that he cannot produce any aura.
- Ging begins to teach the members of the Dark Continent Expedition Team about the unofficial voyages and Don Freecss.
- Gon phones Ging about his inability to muster any aura while preparing to go back to Whale Island.
Between August 11th, 2000, and Early June, 2001Edit
- Gon arrives home.
- September 8th: Nobunaga's 30th birthday.
- December, 2000: Tserriednich Hui Guo Rou anonymously updates a video depicting his collection of Scarlet Eyes on a darknet site.
- March 3rd: Leorio's 22nd birthday.
- April 4th: Kurapika's 20th birthday.
- May 5th: Gon's 14th birthday.
- Cheadle offers to Leorio the Boar seat in the Zodiacs, who accepts and recommends Kurapika.
- Mizaistom is sent to pick up Kurapika.
- Kurapika accepts to go with Mizaistom.
Around June 4th, 2001Edit
- After sunset: Tserriednich skins two women.
- Cheadle makes Beyond sign the contract she drew up.
- Kurapika and Leorio attend the Zodiac meeting about the upcoming expedition.
July 4th, 2001Edit
- The 289th Hunter Exam ends. Kurapika scrutinizes the applicants of the last phase.
- Muherr returns to the Expedition Team's lair.
- After sunset (in Kakin): Benjamin Hui Guo Rou tells Tserriednich that their father intends to declare the sole survivor of the succession contest his official heir.
- Theta phones Tserriednich about her, Salkov, Myuhan, Danjin, and another bodyguard becoming Provisional Hunters.
- Mizaistom and Kurapika determine that Saiyu is Pariston's mole in the Zodiacs.
- Mizaistom confronts Beyond about his knowledge of a mole.
- Six Kakin princes put up requests for bodyguards.
Succession Contest ArcEdit
Between July 4th and August 7th, 2001Edit
- Before July 8th:[note 20] the 14 Kakin princes take the Seed Urn ceremony.
- Kurapika hires Basho, Biscuit's, Hanzo, Izunavi's, and Melody apply as Kakin royal bodyguards.
- At 19:00: Basho, Hanzo, and Kurapika meet with their employers.
- At 19:09: Oito Hui Guo Rou accepts Kurapika's terms.
- July 7th: Killua's 14th birthday.
- After a battle with Chrollo at the Heaven's Arena, Hisoka kills Kortopi and Shalnark.[note 21]
August 7th, 2001 (Sat)Edit
August 8th, 2001 (Sun)Edit
- 12:00:[note 22] The Black Whale leaves harbor and the departure ceremony begins.
- Between 12:15 and 12:30: Woody is killed by the user of Silent Majority.
- Kurapika reveals the existence of Nen Beasts over the emergency channel.
- Around 14:00: Woble Hui Guo Rou's staff is down to Kurapika, Bill, Shimano, and Sandra.
- Tserriednich asks Theta if she can use Nen.
- Around 18:00: Vincent is assigned by Benjamin to Room 1014 and immediately opens hostilities.
- Around 19:00: Three princes phone Room 1014 at the same time while Babimyna waits at the door.
- 19:15: Kurapika bargains with Zhang Lei Hui Guo Rou.
- Around 20:00:[note 23] Maor calls Oito's quarters again and heads over.
- Kurapika's meeting with Zhang Lei terminates.
- Around 21:00:[note 24] Oito finishes recon on Marayam Hui Guo Rou's room.
- Momoze Hui Guo Rou is killed.
- Kurapika and Oito pass out.
August 9th, 2001 (Mon)Edit
- Around 06:00:[note 25] Kurapika awakens.
- 09:00: Kurapika gives his first lecture about Nen.
- The user of Silent Majority kills Barrigen.
- 09:45: Kurapika refuses Mushaho the right to carry weapons.
- 10:00: the lecture resumes.
- 10:01: Hanzo summons his Double.
- Hanzo kills Tuffdy.
- Phinks, Franklin, Feitan, and Nobunaga beat up the thugs of the Buor Family.
- 12:30: Kurapika's first lecture ends.
- In the evening: Camilla Hui Guo Rou kills Musse and attacks Benjamin.
August 10th, 2001 (Tue)Edit
- 01:27: Fugetsu Hui Guo Rou's Guardian Spirit Beast manifests as a door.
- 09:00: Kurapika begins his second lecture.
- 10:05: Myuhan is killed by Silent Majority.
August 11th, 2001 (Wed)Edit
- Before sunrise: Fugetsu investigates her door's abilities.
- The Phantom Troupe gathers to share information before dispersing again.
- Shizuku and Bonolenov team up with Chrollo.
- Brocco Li phones Onior Longbao about the Phantom Troupe.
- Luini kills 20 people in Tier 3, awakening his Nen ability.
- Nobunaga, Phinks, and Feitan head to the warehouse in Tier 5 to retrieve their weapons.
- Mizaistom questions Cashew.
- Nobunaga, Phinks, and Feitan encounter Ken'i Wang.
- Franklin is approached by Ittoku.
- 10:00: The Kakin military begins to sweep the lower decks.
- Illumi and Kalluto are caught in Tier 3.
- Mizaistom meets with Fugetsu in Tier 3.
- ↑ 30 years before August 2000 (see Chapter 340).
- ↑ 30 years before August 2000 (see Chapter 315).
- ↑ The year is also of dubious canonicity.
- ↑ The year is also of dubious canonicity.
- ↑ Three years before March 2000 (see Chapter 186).
- ↑ Three years before 2001 (see Chapter 347).
- ↑ Originally January 1st, 2000 (see Chapter 121), retconned as of Chapter 146.
- ↑ Biscuit implied that all Hunter Exams start on September 7th: she was aware of the date of the 288th Hunter Exam without being a proctor or an applicant, and without being able to access the Hunter Website for months. Moreover, she knew the date, but not the duration of said exam, further supporting the recurrence of the starting date.
- ↑ Probable continuity error: the journey to the Heaven's Arena would have lasted 3 weeks. In any case, Gon would have been unable to stay in Padokea after February 23rd, and Kurapika and Leorio certainly departed before March 1st, since September 1st was said to be more than six months away and Kurapika learned Nen in six months and before September.
- ↑ If no more than two matches can be fought per day.
- ↑ If no more than two matches can be fought per day.
- ↑ Retconned to one day after what Machi told Hisoka in Chapter 55.
- ↑ It is already September 11th inside the game, matching Greed Island being to the East of Yorknew as per Chapter 149.
- ↑ As can be seen in Chapter 220 and Chapter 316, Gon's 13th birthday never occurred in canon, and least not during the Chimera Ant arc or the 13th Hunter Chairman Election arc.
- ↑ Probable timeline inconsistency (due to travel time).
- ↑ 20 days before the deadline (see Chapter 203).
- ↑ Since his birth was revealed in a "cutaway" of sorts, it is possible it actually occurred before then, also considering that in Chapter 202 Shaiapouf announced Menthuthuyoupi would be born soon.
- ↑ Possible continuity error: due to Cheetu's "You're better than the guys from yesterday" (see Chapter 220), the fight may have been supposed to take place the day before.
- ↑ Probable inconsistency.
- ↑ A little over one month before August 8th, as per Chapter 360.
- ↑ If the non-linearity of the previous arc is assumed to continue, the battle may have taken place at any point after Nasubi’s announcement.
- ↑ 37 hours and 30 minutes before 01:27 of the third day, as per Chapter 374.
- ↑ One hour after the call (see Chapter 365).
- ↑ Three hours since the activation of Emperor Time to transfer Little Eye to Oito. Kurapika states that Emperor Time has been active for three hours, which is in fact a miscalculation, since it was activated in Chapter 361, roughly two hours after departure: what occurred around that time was the use of Stealth Dolphin to give Sayird’s ability to Oito.
- ↑ 12 hours since the activation of Emperor Time to transfer Little Eye to Oito (16 hours since the real activation to steal Sayird’s ability).