The Zodiacs or Zodiac Twelve (十二支ん, Jūnishin) are a group of twelve Hunters whose skills have been recognized by Chairman Isaac Netero. They occasionally acted as his counselors, and the chairman would entrust the Hunters Association to them in times of emergency. Aside from that, they were also his sparring partners. They each have a codename associated with one of the Chinese zodiac signs, which most of them chose to match in appearance out of adoration for Netero.
The Zodiacs have a high standing within the Association, but it is still unclear how much of their power is dependent on the chairman in charge. In fact, although they managed the 13th chairman election, they could do so only because Netero himself authorized them; Pariston, on the other hand, appointed Cheadle as his successor without so much as consulting with them. However, as advisers to the chairman, they have the authority to decide on anything that is not specified in the Hunter Commandments. The 10th Commandment implies that advisers can be substituted by a new chairman. Their rank is inferior to that of the Vice-chairman, albeit not by much.
There does not seem to be any specific prerequisite to be a member of the Zodiacs, as Isaac Netero simply elected people he had interest in. The original group counted at least three Triple Star Hunters (Pariston Hill, Cheadle Yorkshire and Botobai Gigante) and just as many Double Star Hunters (Ging Freecss, Mizaistom Nana, Saccho Kobayakawa). However, neither Kurapika nor Leorio, the second Rat and Boar, have earned any star, and the latter does not even have a field of specialization. Aside from their activities as Hunters, nearly all the Zodiacs, Pariston and Ging being exceptions, had one or more jobs and qualifications outside the Hunters Association.
Each of the twelve original Zodiacs was appointed by the 12th Chairman of the Hunters Association, Isaac Netero, because of their skills and the interest they aroused in him.
|Botobai Gigante||Cheadle Yorkshire||Cluck||Geru|
|Mizaistom Nana||Piyon||Saccho Kobayakawa||Saiyu|
|Ging Freecss||Pariston Hill|
Codename the Boar, replaced Ging Freecss. After Leorio's reputation and regard within the Hunter Association boosted during the events of the Chairman Election arc, Cheadle requested Leorio to fill one of the vacant spots for their voyage to the Dark Continent to which he accepts on the condition that they use the other open spot to recruit Kurapika.
Codename the Rat, replaced Pariston Hill. Nominated by Leorio, Kurapika is asked to join the Zodiacs on their voyage to the Dark Continent. Although hesitant at first, he agrees after hearing that the Zodiacs have information on the location of a collection of the remaining Scarlet Eyes.
According to Mizaistom, there were three factions in the original Zodiacs. Even for normal missions, the factions used to work together. It is possible that they were disbanded following Cheadle's election and the division in teams in preparation for the voyage to the Dark Continent.
- Piyon, Saiyu and Cluck advocated for reforms within the Hunters Association. They were considered the "hawks" of the Zodiacs.
- Ginta, Cheadle, Mizaistom and Botobai formed the moderative conservative front, giving importance to balance. It should be noted that the members of this faction seem to be the closest to former presence Isaac Netero, at least in terms of corporate governance.
- Geru, Kanzai and Saccho were liberal, mostly apolitical.
Due to Pariston's many facades and deceptive behavior, Mizaistom could not understand his alignment, so he labelled him off as an "extreme left patriot", though he still considers him incomprehensible. Ging, on the other hand, is merely regarded as a stubborn "idiot".
13th Hunter Chairman Election arc
Following the death of the Chairman Isaac Netero, the Zodiacs gather in the Hunters Association Headquarters to decide the method of the election of his successor, as he demanded in his testament. Pariston, the Vice-Chairman, announces his candidacy and suggests the election be skipped, but the other Zodiacs refuse.
|This article or section is a stub.|
Dark Continent Expedition arc
|This article or section is a stub.|
- The only two members who haven't changed their appearance to match their Zodiac sign are Pariston Hill and Ging Freecss. Incidentally, they are also the only two members to quit the group.
- The original Rat and Boar have hair similar to that of their successors: Ging and Leorio (the first and the second Boar) have dark, spiky hair, whereas Pariston and Kurapika (the first and the second Rat) have long, blond hair worn in a fringe.
- Most of the Zodiacs who changed their appearance to match their sign, also sport references to real-life countries or cities. This might be because they hail from their counterparts within the Hunter × Hunter universe.
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 Hunter × Hunter - Volume 30, Chapter 319
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Hunter × Hunter - Volume 31, Chapter 326
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 3.8 3.9 Hunter × Hunter, Chapter 346
- ↑ Hunter × Hunter - Volume 30, Chapter 320
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Hunter × Hunter, Chapter 343
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Hunter × Hunter - Volume 32, Chapter 340
- ↑ Hunter × Hunter, Chapter 348